Thursday, August 13, 2009

Staging Photos - Mix it Up!






Constantly trying to upgrade my photos, I am challenged as an amateur photographer! I have tried so many phases of backgrounds and staging for the jewelry product. With my point-and-shoot camera, I can only do so much, but believe that my photos have increased in value over the years.

Lately, I have gravitated to plain white backgrounds for my primary photos. You can see this at the GalleriaLinda Jewelry iCraft.ca shop.

Recently though, I started thinking of creative staging of some jewelry items that found me rooting through cupboards and boxes of old treasures. I found my original doll furniture and thought - why not?!

Here are a couple of photos taken of jewelry on my doll furniture. I like the concept but am not quite there yet and I will be trying more shots and staging with this concept.

I found some old sterling silver tableware that were completely oxidized. I love the oxidized color and found it to be a fabulous contrast to the jewelry.

Take a look around your house for your treasures to try and set aside a fun day of staging!

If you want to see some great examples of fabulous handcraft product photo shots, go to http://www.craftgawker.com. It is a juried online show of the best of best in product photography! And, CraftGawker accepted GalleriaLinda Jewelry photos that can be found there too!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! your pics turned out awesome. Very clear bright and original. I am luvin the oxidized silverware. You are right! The contrast is beautiful...don't let it hide your earrings though. The dark wood doll house chair is a definite asset and compliment to your designs. To be frank, I don't think the light wood does your designs justice. Too worn or old fashioned....can't put my finger on it.
    I do like the concept of using items around the house. Otherwise i am luvin, luvin that lime green necklace no matter what it sits on! lol

    You are right about http://craftgawker.com. beautiful photos. do you have submissions or are you going to submit, cause you are right up there too!

    Hve a great day!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments Crystal! Thanks for your insights - I agree and will be experimenting ongoing with this. I need to be in tune with the wood tones vs. the colors of the jewelry.

    I submitted 3 photos to craftgawker and all were accepted - beginner's luck! http://craftgawker.com/post/archive/gallerialinda/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how timely this post is! I've been whining all day about the pathetic photos in my Etsy shop. I have a very nice digital camera, but we are not very good friends :(

    I will try some of your wonderful ideas! I feel inspired now - thank you so much for that!

    Hmm, beginner's luck - yes - I've submitted only one thing to Craftgawker - and they accepted it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jewelry is cool. I love the way you used interesting things like doll's furniture to photograph your jewelry pieces. The dark wood chair really compliments the green in that piece. I am struggling with taking pictures too.

    I don't know what is Craftgawker. Thanks for sharing and coming to my blogspot. Please do visit me there again. Warm wishes- Dita

    http://www.alankarshilpa.blogspot.com
    http://www.bead-z-mommys-business.com

    ReplyDelete